By Dunn, M.J.
The purpose of this paintings is to supply the 1st fieldwork-based, typologically expert reference grammar of Chukchi, an indigenous language of the north-eastern nook of the Russian Federation. The theoretical process is low-key and eclectic; linguistic phenomena are defined in a way that's, in as far as it really is attainable, theory-neutral, even if the place a department of linguistic thought offers instruments which enable transparent and straightforward description it's used with no hesitation. Linguistic description is, even if, fundamental all through.
Read or Download A Grammar of Chukchi PDF
Similar linguistics books
The world of graph grammars is theoretically appealing and good influenced byvarious functions. greater than two decades in the past, the idea that of graph grammars was once brought through A. Rosenfeld as a formula of a few difficulties in development popularity and snapshot processing, in addition to via H. J. Schneider as a mode for info variety specification.
Language issues in China. it's approximately strength, id, possibilities, and, specially, ardour and nationalism. up to now 5 a long time China’s language engineering initiatives reworked its linguistic panorama, affecting over one thousand million people’s lives, together with either the bulk and minority populations.
This e-book proposes that the 2 “independent” stipulations on argumenthood, particularly, case and referentiality, are strongly correlated and feature to be linked to one another in syntax as syntactic positive aspects. It exhibits that languages convey version within the manner this organization is carried out of their syntax, which provides an evidence for the variations saw of their word constitution when it comes to (non-)configurationality.
- The Pursuit of Permanence: A Study of the English Child Care System
- Meaning Of Meaning
- How Language Began: Gesture and Speech in Human Evolution (Approaches to the Evolution of Language)
- Au cœur du vocabulaire allemand
- Poetry and Exegesis in Premodern Latin Christianity: The Encounter Between Classical and Christian Strategies of Interpretation (Supplements to Vigiliae ... of Early Christian Life and Language)
- IELTS Speciment Materials
Extra info for A Grammar of Chukchi
18. BACKGROUND Chapter 1 Bogoras’ major ethnographic publication is The Chukchee (Bogoras 1904-1909). This contains a wealth of beautifully written ethnographic description in the Boasian tradition (Boas edited both Bogoras’ English-language works). This ethnography is greatly respected by contemporary Chukchis, who have access to a Russian translation produced under Bogoras’ guidance (Bogoras 1939a, 1939b)7. The details generally concur with the personal experience of Chukchis who grew up in the tundra prior to the 1970s.
The current legal situation of people wishing to travel within Chukotka is difficult to determine, although the basic principle is that the laws of the closest authority are the ones which are enforced. Administrative difficulties aside, transportation within Chukotka is very difficult to manage. Ground transportation is by means of the vezdexod (‘All Terrain Vehicle’). These are a civilian version of a tracked army personnel carrier. They are slow, dirty, noisy, heavy, ecologically destructive, and horrendously fuel-inefficient.
Skorik (1964:317-318) contains criticism of the Chukchi orthography, which shows that he was aware of the difficulty it causes in learning for non-Russian speakers. 2 Linguistic situation The Chukchi language has very few genetic relatives. Alutor, Koryak and Kerek are all closely related to Chukchi, and are spoken either within Chukchi land or in territories contiguous with it. This group is called is called ‘Chukotian’ or ‘KoryakoChukotian’. The Chukotko-Kamchatkan family consists of these langauges and the language Itelmen (previously known as Kamchadal).